Okay, so we have been here for 2.5 months. We like it here. We are getting used to our house and we have met some really great people and we have had a great time exploring the areas around our house. The Swiss people that we have met have been better than great.
However, some things about this place drive me insane!
1. Driving here is crazy! None of the exits are marked and very few of the motorways have signs telling you there numbers or which direction you are heading. It is nuts! Ross says that they treat roads like tram lines, he is right. However, the USA has the Swiss beat on road efficiency. GO USA!
2. The fridges here are tiny! You can barely fit a jug of milk in the stupid thing. It makes me crazy that I have to grocery shop every day. But, you really do need to in order to have food for you meal! The good news is that Joel is a happy baby who does not hate shopping... only I hate shopping!
3. You have to buy stickers for your garbage. You can only buy these stickers in certain places and they are all out of my way! We can't throw out our garbage without the stickers. You may ask yourself, why not just throw your garbage away without the stickers, but I am sure we would get caught and then we would have to pay a million dollar fine! I know that the stickers make me think about what we are tossing in the garbage and it has made me perfect my recycling, but I still hate them!
4. Along the same lines, there are recycling posts all over the place for glass and aluminum, but not for plastic. What the Freak? The only place you can recycle plastic is in the grocery store. So, I have to haul my plastic cans back to the grocery store, while walking by about 15 recycling stations. Why can't they just add plastic to the recycling stations? Come on people!
5. Everyone here smokes! It is disgusting. You even see Mom's with their babies puffing away. These are educated people, with HUGE warnings on the boxes, yet they are blowing away like idiots! I would not care if they would stay about 100 yards from my baby, but they light up right next to us when we are waiting in the baby carriage area on the tram platform. I really have no problem with smoking, in fact I hope they are all smoking Winston's, just keep them the heck away from my baby!
6. To end on the positive, I love the old ladies on the tram! I love that they go out of their way to talk to Joel and smile at him. He loves the attention and it is so nice to have such positive interaction with Swiss people. Most of these great folks even speak a little bit of English to us once they find out that we are Americans. That really makes my day!
7. I also love the walking trails around our house. They are fantastic! We could literally walk across the country. Every morning, I walk Sullivan and just think how nice it is to live in such a safe and beautiful place.
No comments:
Post a Comment