Swiss Family Weikel

Swiss Family Weikel

Friday, May 21, 2010

Family Ties!

While my parents and Mary were here, we took Switzerland, France and Germany by storm. While their visit was only for a week, we were able to see Colmar, France; Bern, Switzerland; Basel, Switzerland; and Lucern. Mary and the rents flew out of Frankfurt so that is our German connection. We had so much fun! It was just so wonderful to see the faces of the people that I love. Plus, it was so nice to have some help with Joel. Ross is working crazy hours, so he could not join us for all of the touring. However, he loves his job, so I am sure he was having a great time at the office while the Schultea's were touristing it up!

I think that my family liked our house, despite it still feeling a little "new." We have not hung all of the pictures and we just got our wardrobes today. (Just think, all of our cloths now have a place to stay.) I can not figure out why Europe does not adopt closets. Our house was built in 1994, I am pretty sure they could have added closets... but that is negative, so I am going to let it go. The bright side, is that Ross and I now have several large wardrobes. They are very nice and when we leave, we can decide if one should house our T.V. at the new house. All of our walls are concrete, so we need to purchase a hammer drill in order to get them up. However, Mom and Mary were wonderful about helping me place pictures. (THANK YOU!) Now, we just need to run to the "Do it Yourself" to get the hammer drill. It was just so wonderful to have family here! The only way to make a house a home is to fill it with family and to make memories together. So, here are a few of the highlights:

1. Our family loves playing Clue. It is a great game and Mary is a natural... cheater. While we were playing she decided that she knew "who done it.' So, she told us her top two guesses. Needless to say, she was correct, but still lost! They funny part was that she was outraged and felt that she should win.
2. Joel loves my family! He is learning so many new words everyday and he has learned my Mom's grandparent name. We talk to my Mom every day on the phone, but here he was calling her Re-Re. We just need to add the "n" to the end and we will be golden. He is calling his aunt Mer-Mer. Captian Pat is a little tougher, but he just loves being around the entire family.
3. The trams! It was so fun watching my family scurry onto the Trams while hauling all of our stuff and the baby! Don't worry guys, next time, we will have the car! But, I am so glad that you go to see what Joel and I do every day.
4. The food! It was so much fun eating our way across Europe! I loved the food in France and the cafes we found in Basel are priceless. I loved that we ate at a Beer Garden/Bowling Alley! We were the only Americans in a certainly "Local Spot."
5. The pictures! My Mom is quickly bored by pictures, but this weekend we exhausted the cameras! I am so glad that we have taken so many pictures because it is so fun to look at them and reminisce about our wonderful trip! I can not wait until you return to me and I return to you. I am going to print lots of pictures and put them up all over Joel's room! I want him to perfect all of your names!

I have so much love for you. Mary, I promise that I will get your day bed, up and running! You will not have to sleep on the couch again! Doug has to promise to come and visit soon!

Now, I can look forward to seeing Lauren who will be here from June 8-15! HOORAY! Now, all I need is the hammer-drill and the house will look marvelous for her arrival! Joel is getting excited and we are working on "Auntie Lauren." I think the little guy is liking it.

Okay, once again, this is too long and boring!
All my love,
Blair

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Blair!
    It was so wonderful seeing you and your new surroundings. Thank you so much for having us- you were the perfect hostess. With the memories that we shared and the ones that you make, your new house will feel like a home.

    Doug looks forward to visiting and wants Joel to call him Dougie.
    By the way, I won that Clue game fair and square.
    Love you,
    MerMer

    ReplyDelete